What Goes Around Comes Around: Direct Mail Marketing Rises Again
The world of marketing and advertising was vastly different prior to the advent of the Internet. Before there was search engine optimization, email marketing or pay per click campaigns, there was only word-of-mouth advertising, yellow page ads, Sunday paper inserts, classified advertising, and the slick kid on the block, Direct Mail Marketing. Direct Mail Marketing pieces are the unsolicited but highly targeted pieces of mail that catch your eye when you pick up your postal service mail each day. There was a time when email first went mainstream, around when most people stopped writing snail mail letters, that marketing gurus predicted the demise of direct mail marketing. These naysayers could not have been more wrong.
Direct Mail Marketing is on the Rise
While most people today get more email than they do hand written letters, direct mail pieces continue to flood America’s mailboxes, and to produce results. Businesses spent over $47 billion on direct mail in 2011, and not quite 4% above that in the 2013-14. There is a reason for this continued increase in spending: direct mail marketing produces results. Studies show that more than half of those who are targeted in a direct mail marketing campaign will make a purchase or otherwise interact with the business of origin. This is a far better response than even the very best email marketing results. In fact, direct mail advertising is the public’s preferred means of approach for particular areas of business such as insurance, financial services, Realtor Direct Mail Marketing, etc. Small Business Direct Mail Marketing is the marketing means of choice for particular kinds of businesses, such as businesses offering local services (hair salons, pet groomers, handyman services, etc.) or products.
Advantages of Advertising via Direct Mail
The advantages of direct mail advertising are numerous. They include:
- ROI – Direct mail provides a better return than does email marketing.
- Personal – Chances are, a direct mail advertising piece will actually end up in your potential client’s hand.
- Versatile – Direct mail marketing does well as a stand-alone ploy and also integrates nicely into a multi-pronged campaign.
- Tangible – Where email tends to go straight into a spam folder, a colorful, on target direct mail piece is likely to catch a person’s attention.
- Traceable – There are a number of ways responses from direct mailing pieces can be tracked including special phone numbers and unique URLs.
- Targeted – Direct mail helps a business reach its targeted clients according to their particular zip code, specific interests, age, sex, income, etc.
How Direct Mail Marketing Works
Direct mail marketing is all about getting your product, service and, most importantly, business name in the hands of new or repeat clients. The basic steps to launching a successful direct mail marketing campaign are as follows:
- Identify the Targeted Audience – This, of course, depends on what it is you have to offer.
- Decide on the Direct Mailing Piece – There are endless variations on the mailing piece theme. They can be as simple as a postcard, direct mail letter or brochure, or as fancy as a piece that includes incentives to open it, such as a key, codekase, credit card, pull tab attachment, etc. Digitally printed personalized mail is a popular choice of many. You are limited only by your imagination and your budget.
- Contract With a Printer – There are any number of highly regarded and competitively priced printers available that specialize in direct mail pieces or devote a significant amount of resources to that end. It is not necessary (and in fact, is probably not even advisable) to go with a local printer. The Internet puts a world of printers at your disposal.
- Refine the Zip List – Your zip list determines who receives your direct mail piece. Depending on the type of clientele you hope to attract, you will need to apply filters to your list for such variables as minimum income, maximum income, average home value, multifamily dwellings, single family dwellings, average age, average number of homes with children, distance, drive time, etc. Furthermore, it matters how your list applies to individual carrier routes within a given zip code. With Every Door Direct Mail, you can literally skip routes A, C and E, yet hit routes B, D and F – all within the same zip code.
Consider a Direct Mail Marketing Company
A direct mail marketing company can handle as much or as little of your business’s direct mail campaign as is desired. They are capable of managing every nuance of a project, from creating artwork, printing, providing saturated as well as targeted mailing lists, handling the mailing and tallying the results. This is often the best choice for any client big or small and is often the most cost effective. Such companies are well-versed in the intricacies of such campaigns from the start of the artwork to the delivery in homes, and to the potential clients responding the campaign.
Direct mail marketing is here to stay and is more popular than ever. It is a mainstay of communication with clients for businesses whose products are large and local, such as automobiles, RV’s, boats, tractors, etc., as the success of many an Automotive Direct Mail Marketing campaign can attest. Direct mail marketing is popular because it works. Few methods of marketing are as effective at promoting your brand or increasing your sales and in turn adding cash to your bottom line.